martes, 20 de diciembre de 2011

Female characters in The Beggars Opera

As I could not present my role in class, I would like to comment the most interesting point of my presentation here, in my blog. My role was the character collector, but this time focusing only in female characters.
As the other day in class we talked about some female characters, I think it is not necesary to talk about them again, so now I am going to focus mainly in two topics that seems more useful, but always related to women in the play.
1) In The Beggars Opera it seems as if John Gay has weaved the text with a kind of parallelism that equates the male gender with the upper class and the female with the lower. Just as the lower class "rogues" are hanged for commiting crimes similar in nature to that of the ever-inocent lawyer, the women of the play act in the same manner as the men, yet are punished with titles such as "whore, hussy and slut".
2)Among the female characters, Polly Peachum is the most reresentative one. Gay uses her as a satirical element to show the hypocrisy of London society. It explains how Gay juxtaposes the aristocracy against thieving.

2 comentarios:

  1. oi! I really like your post, I think women in this play are especially interesting, they are the centre of the satire portrayed by Gay!! xoxo Merry Christmas!!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. COMMENT:
    Thanks for your post Arancha. Too bad we didn't have time to listen to you in class.
    I'm surely interested in the role women play in this play and, indeed, I think that, even though the beginning of your post is a bit confusing, you manage to comment on two interesting elements.

    CORRECTION: Remember to always proofread your text before uploading it.

    points: you are referring to more than two
    My role was the character collector: My role was that of character collector
    Focusing on
    topics that seem: subject verb agreement
    committing
    reresentative: representative
    London's society

    GRADE: 4

    ResponderEliminar